Writing and Selling Features
There is an ever-expanding market for freelance articles – and editors welcome with open arms good material geared to their needs.
Whether you want to write articles or website content to earn extra cash, publicity material for your business, to contribute to a community newsletter, or to get publicity for an issue close to your heart, here are all the skills you need to get your words into print.
You will learn how to:
- Approach editors and understand their needs
- Find and develop ideas and pitch them to appropriate markets
- Write persuasive and concise synopses
- Adapt your ideas to different types of feature format
- Research, plan and structure your feature
- Make a great start with engaging intros
- Write fast and fluently and abolish writer’s block
- Handle all your interviews and get lively quotes
- Maximise your credibility with contacts and editors
- Negotiate fees and copyright
Who should come on this course?
This course is suitable for absolute beginners as well as for experienced writers and professionals who want to develop some new journalistic tricks of the trade.
What People Say
“Good fun. Lots of practical work. Left us wanting more”
Wendy E., Cheshire
“Brought theory to life in an atmosphere that was permissive yet safe, fun but industrious.”
Martin S., Oxon
“The voyage took us from tenuous first approaches to more confident expression of our ideas, within helpful structures suggested by the tutor. Very enjoyable.”
Rosemary D., Beckenham
“A wonderful course, great teacher, fabulous learning experience.”
Alison C., Derby
Excellent. A high standard of teaching and a great deal of really useful information
Chris J., Journalist, Manchester
Motivating and inspiring. I feel well equipped.
Brian Lloyd, Manchester
Just what I needed for a kick up the bum to get going. It’s made me realise I can do it.
Sarah Dunn, Manchester
Most enjoyable and lots of ideas to explore. Exciting. I liked the pace of the day and the mix of activities throughout.
Helen O’Donnell, Manchester